Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Boys, Bears, and a serious pair of Hiking Boots by Abby McDonald

Boys, Bears, and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots


Synopsis: Jenna may hail from the ’burbs of New Jersey, but Green Teen activism is her life. So when her mom suggests they spend the summer at Grandma’s Florida condo, Jenna pleads instead to visit her hippie godmother, Susie, up in rural Canada. Jenna is psyched at the chance to commune with this nature she’s heard about — and the cute, plaidwearing boys she’s certain must roam there. But after a few run-ins with local wildlife (from a larger-than-life moose to Susie’s sullen Goth stepdaughter to a hot but hostile boy named Reeve), Jenna gets the idea that her long-held ideals, like vegetarianism and conservation, don’t play so well with this population of real outdoorsmen. A dusty survival guide offers Jenna amusing tips on navigating the wilderness — but can she learn to navigate the turns of her heart?






Review: A big thank you out to Candlewick Press for sending me this and many others to review. 


I really really uber enjoyed this book. I've been waiting to read it for a long time. Ever since I saw Kristi from The Story Siren have it on an IMM! That was  long time ago.


I'm really happy that I found out about blogging reading makes me happy and I love sharing my thoughts on what I read with my followers and anyone else that happens to come across my blog :)


Back to the book, sorry got a little side tracked! Ok Abby made this novel amazing. I'd give it a 4.5 if I was going to rate it. I'm trying to write this without giving anything away in the story. Jenna is a girl who loves nature and seems like she would do anything to save a fly while she's in her home town. Well what about when she goes to Canada? I can't tell what happens but I can say that you'll love every second of reading this. 


I don't really know what to say about this one other than that I liked it a lot and that it would be a great summer read for those that haven't read it or those that want to read it again. I for one didn't think it was good enough for a second read. My absolute favorite character out of the entire novel was Reeve from the very beginning he sounded awesome. Also the fact that the way Abby writes out Jenna's thoughts about him makes him even more enjoyable as a character.


Something I REALLY REALLY hated about this novel was the ENDING!!!!! I can't get over how I wish this novel ended. I wish it would have given a little bit of a fast forward into what happened later in all of the great characters lives. Like how at the end of some movies they'll say something along the lines of "Gary, lived his life at home sitting in his mothers basement eating PB & J, and never got married." 
And if that wasn't a good idea how about a sequel. I would have loved to see what the next summer had in store for everyone of maybe even Winter break something would have been better than that crappy ending.

This was another short and sweet review for Kaylyn!

Love & Rockets,
-K ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment